Knitting Centered Blog Regarding All Things Design Related

Friday, July 28, 2006

Booklet Review

I ordered the Patons Next Steps One, Two and Three booklets from a Canadian company online, since they are not yet available in the US. I LOVE these books, the are really well done. They are small, so they fit right in your knitting bag, and they are easy to understand, good sizing information, great diagrams and illustrations. I re-taught myself to knit a while back from another book, which I thought had good drawings, but the drawings in these little booklets are pretty great. And the sweater styles in Two and Three are really cute, they're fitted with a bell-sleeve option.

The only complaint I have is with book One, a usual complaint I have with almost every How to Knit book I come across, and that is when knitting books teach people how to knit crappy things. Nobody wants to wear headbands or boxy garter-stitch sweaters. So, please, don't teach people how to make them. And putting a plastic squiggle pin on the sweater isn't going to make it any more attractive. I learned how to pick up stitches just fine knitting something I actually want to wear. I will say, though, that some of the projects, like the hats, in book One are cute, and that is why I bought it.

No comments: