Knitting Centered Blog Regarding All Things Design Related

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I'm a snow chicken

I totally chickened out on S 'n B tonight. I was driving from Michael's to the north valley, and it was like a fucking slurpee machine out there! Pure slush falling from the sky, and I thought to myself, "Self, do you want to see what this turns into in 2, 2 1/2, hours?" Hell no! So I drove home, and of course at our house there was but the faintest whisper of a flurry falling and my husband was wondering where all the snow was that I was talking about.

At Michael's I bought some good cheap yarn for making Christmas ornaments. I found lots of free patterns online, and decided against the felted ornaments. And, acrylic is a hell of a lot cheaper than wool.

You will soon be transformed into tidings of comfort and joy, my pretties!

I also found some wee garlands for our wee tree at Michael's. You can barely see them in the picture. And it is kind of blurry. I got that cheesy tin at work, it was full of popcorn as a suck-up gift from a consultant, and the presents are fake, and that board of pictures is something we had up at our wedding reception.



I also finished the Dashing gloves for my dad. I just have to weave in the ends. They look kind of big on me, but they are for a burly dude. Well, semi-burly. He does live in Santa Fe now, after all:



And I ventured into felting this weekend! Here are my sample swatches. I think I like the shibori effect, when you tie crap in the knit fabric before you felt it and it makes a shape in the fabric. I plan to do blue pillows with shibori felting for our living room:



So, looking at all the shit I've made, including a sweater I've started that I have yet to post, I realize I have way more free time on my hands than I thought. Or I'm a fast knitter. Who knows. What I do know is this means I have enough time to knit and also start studying for my architectural licensing exams (*gasp*!). So, I've taken a step to get my ass in gear and am attending a 9-hour seminar in early January. And I have a goal to get my registration number by then as well, so I can start taking the tests next year. Eek! But it is probably better sooner than later, as a lot of it, I am afraid, I will forget the further I get from being in school.

One last picture. This is Ginger helping me put away holiday stuff (the stuff we aren't using right now), this weekend. Isn't she cute?!?!?!

3 comments:

k-bomb said...

You are a total chicken! It wasn't bad at all. The drive home for me was better than the drive there. However, I do understand your concern...unless you grew up around snow, then I go back to calling you a chicken.
You better come this Tuesday because I'll be out of town for three weeks! Don't worry, no threats attached.

Nichole D. said...

Yaay felting! Kind of fun, isn't it? Missed you last night- it stopped raining shortly after I got there, and just some mildly wet roads on the way home. CHICKEN!! Of course, if you had come, it would have snowed like crazy the entire time...

Paula said...

We missed you Tuesday night. I'll see you on Saturday though. Yippee.