Knitting Centered Blog Regarding All Things Design Related

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Shibori Felting gone bad

I finally finished knitting a giant swath of stockinette I planned to shibori felt and then sew into a pillow cover for the living room with a zipper and all. Well, it felted, but the shibori part was a bit of a disaster. Most of the bottlecaps fell off in the wash and the finished product looks like a giant piece of felt with a leprosy problem:


With flash. As if that helps:


Patons Merino Wool
More skiens than I care to count

Certainly not my favorite project. I guess I can still make it into a pillow cover, but I'm not really sure I want to. I mean, it's ugly. It didn't cost much money for the yarn, but I was knitting on that thing forever! This being my first foray into felting (if you don't count accidentally felting sweaters in the wash), I am not exactly smitten with the craft.

At least Ginger knows how to make me feel better. Here she is snoozing on her kitty rag quilt, reminding me that all of my projects are not disasters, they are mostly successes:


I can't get the picture to rotate, but she is cute just the same. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I've had felting disasters too, like a pair of slippers that looked more like oven gloves. ; )

What about repurposing the felt? Cutting it into strips and weaving it with other felt for a textured pillow top? That looks like A LOT of stockinette stitch...ugh!

THe kitty quilt is adorable...Ginger is too!