Knitting Centered Blog Regarding All Things Design Related

Sunday, September 16, 2007

F.O.s fo yo mo fos

I've been up to a lot of knitting but not much blogging. I started this blog in grad school as a form of procrastination, and since I have finished school, I've had zero desire to blog. I realized that the blog depended on the stress of school in a sick symbiotic relationship, like those little birds that eat the crap out of crocodiles' teeth. So, a friend recently mentioned that the blog could be a good way to make myself photograph and document my knitting, and she's right. I knit four beautiful scarves for my bridesmaids, and didn't photograph them! Argh! If any of you ladies read this blog, send me a photo of your scarf, and I'll put in on the blog.

The first thing I'd like to share is a pair of Jaywalkers, in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, color Bittersweet:


The colorway didn't come out too symmetrical in the pair, but I really don't give a rat's ass. I finished these earlier this summer. Pre-honeymoon, I believe.

So, on the honeymoon, I mentioned I went to three yarn stores. One of my favorites, a small shop in Pagosa Springs called the Edelwiess Needlework Chalet, had Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb 40% off. WOW! So, naturally, I had to buy all four skeins and knit a Clapotis, the famous shawl from Knitty:


I've been waiting to knit this when I could find a good deal on L'nL, because I have seen it knit in other yarns (wool, acrylic, etc.), and it just never has the drape of the wool/silk blend. It is still too warm here to wear it, but soon I will have pics of the Clapotis in action!

At my bridal shower, a dear friend gave me the best gift ever- a knitting book entitled "Never Knit Your Man a Sweater Unless You've Got the Ring", which is all patterns for guys, and some gorgeous Opal cotton/wool self-patterning sock yarn. The colorway of the yarn is based on the paintings of some obscure Austrian architect/artist whose name escapes me. I just finished the socks last week:


I am IN LOVE with self-patterning yarn!!! It is the best for socks if you still want to knit but just finished a Clapotis that took a lot of thought to not screw up the pattern.

And last of all, but certainly not least, I have started more socks, this time in some Tofutsies that I got at the Edelweiss Needlework Chalet:



I'm pretty impressed with this yarn thus far. I am just making a simple pair of 4x2 ribbed socks, thought they'd look good with both clogs and hiking boots.

I'm back, baby!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Good for you to be back online. Those socks look great.
I kint a sweater vest with a pattern similar to your Clapotis shawl - then had to pinch-seam the waist for shaping. It must be better in a shawl. But what a pain to rip down those dropped stitches, huh? That was the hardest part!